On the menu
Homemade Yemeni-style falafel
Roasted Cauliflower with Pomegranate
Cannelini Bean Dip
Winter Superfood Slaw
Muhamra – the most delicious dip you’ll ever taste
Baba Ganoush – Ok, maybe this one is. Make both, and you can decide.
Warm pitta bread
Some runny tahini stirred together with a pinch of salt and some lemon juice
Green salad (optional)
This selection is one of my favourites to cook if I’ve got a few people coming over, but even if I don’t, it’s a great set of dishes to make as a Sunday evening supper and as prep for lunches during the week. I hate buying lunch, it makes me crazy that I’m wasting money, so this is ideal for me.
Below you’ll find links to the recipes, and the order to prepare them in.
- The night before, soak your chickpeas. Really. This whole thing won’t work if you don’t use dried chickpeas that have been soaked, trust me!
- The next day, start with your winter slaw. Putting this together early means it can sit on the table as a beautiful centrepiece, and those lovely flavours have plenty chance to blend and really sing.
- Next up, crack on with the dip. This is great if your gang arrive early and want something to nibble on with crisps or toasted pitta. It’s so quick to make that you can just do another batch (or a new batch with prettymuch any tinned pulse) if you run out! If you’re making the Muhamra and Baba ganoush, do it now.
- Give your slaw a quick stir.
- Prepare your cauliflower for roasting and put it in the oven.
- Make the falafel mixture after draining and rinsing your soaked chickpeas.
- Remove the cauli from the oven and leave to cool.
- Put the oil for frying on the hob and start to heat. While you’re waiting, toss the cauliflower with pomemgranate seeds and molasses and put in a serving dish.
- Fry your falafel in batches – full instructions in the recipe!
- Keep them warm in a serving dish in the now-cooling oven.
- Toss together some green salad leaves, add to a serving bowl.
- Pop some pittas in the oven or into the toaster in batches.
- Demand assistance from guests to take everything to the table.
Wine matches to follow!
Leave a Reply